4 Simple Ways to Track Your Calorie ConsumptionApril 11, 2023
5 Seasonal Foods to Try This SummerApril 25, 2023
The clothes and shoes you purchase for exercise only get used for one purpose, and often you only wear them for an hour or so each day. So why does workout gear wear out so quickly, and how can you make your clothes last longer?
Keep in mind that activewear is designed for a specific purpose and is made from specialized fibers that are designed to keep you cool during workouts. However, that also means those fibers require special care. Following these tips can help you extend the life of your gym clothes, and get more bang for your buck.
- Read the instructions and follow them. The manufacturer of a particular item knows best how to care for it.
- Consider special detergents designed for athletic wear. Some of the major detergent brands are fine for regular clothes, but aren’t gentle enough for the types of fibers used to construct workout gear.
- Use cold water only. Yes, this goes against your instinct to kill germs with hot water, but rest assured, your detergent will do the job. Hot water damages delicate fibers like Lycra and Spandex, so using cold water will help to extend the life of these items.
- Wash your clothes more promptly. It’s tempting to toss them into the hamper, where they will sit for a week, but it’s better to get them washed more quickly.
- Try a pre-soak cycle. You might have this setting on your washing machine, but if not, you can soak clothes in a sink of cold water with a bit of detergent mixed in. This can help to get icky smells out of very sweaty items.
- Don’t use fabric softener. These formulas coat fibers in a substance that makes them feel softer, but over time your detergent won’t be able to penetrate them.
- Line dry your clothes when you can. The heat of a dryer can damage more delicate clothing.
- Don’t wash your shoes. Yes, they’re smelly, but tossing them into the washing machine will shorten their life span. The cushioning inside the shoe will wear out more quickly, you might even injure yourself. Instead, spray the insides of your shoes with an odor spray specially formulated for exercise gear.
If you have any questions about your exercise plan in general, give us a call to schedule an appointment. We can prescreen you for underlying conditions and offer further advice on a weight loss or maintenance plan, if needed.