4 Ways to Harness the Power of Positive ThinkingJanuary 20, 2020
Timing Your Meals for Best ResultsFebruary 4, 2020
As you continue your weight loss plan, you might want to seek out new fruits and vegetables to incorporate into your daily regimen. There are numerous reasons that trying new types of produce is a good idea. For example..
- You want to break out of old habits
- A greater variety of fruits and vegetables will mean a greater variety of nutrients in your diet
- You can stave off boredom with your diet by trying new ingredients
- You will learn new, healthier recipes to replace some of your old habits
- Eating seasonal fruits and veggies can save you money, because these will be the more affordable options when they’re “in season”
- Eating seasonally can also mean eating fresher produce, because you can obtain these items locally
… And probably a few more reasons! You might simply be one of those people who enjoys trying and learning new things.
With regard to eating seasonally, during winter you will find that root vegetables are popular options. But if you’re unfamiliar with how to prepare them, or how to best utilize their flavors in recipes, these tips can help.
- Chop them up and scramble them into eggs for breakfast. Sweet potato beet hash is delicious!
- Sauteed sweet radishes make an excellent side dish. Or, incorporate them into a more complex recipe.
- One-dish skillet meals are fast and easy for week nights. Try carrots and potatoes with your favorite protein, and don’t skimp on the flavorful herbs.
- Toss roasted sweet potato chunks into a salad. Include kale, some protein, and your favorite vinaigrette.
- Bake parsnip fries are an interesting alternative to french fries. Try them with curry-lime yogurt dip.
- Or, what about baked jicama fries? Use a spiralizer to slice up this Mexican turnip.
- And of course, soups are a staple. Try creamy cauliflower and carrot soup.
- Consider slaws with new ingredients such as Brussels sprouts. Okay, technically Brussels sprouts aren’t a root vegetable, but we’re including them because they’re in season.
- You can even include root veggies in smoothies. Beets, in particular, offer an interesting sweetness when combined with berries.
- Speaking of sweetness, you can utilize beets in brownies. Yes, really!
Do these ideas get your imagination churning? If you’re curious about a new vegetable, Pinterest and similar platforms will offer a plethora of unique recipes. Have fun experimenting, and remember to come see us if you’d like to discuss your weight loss plan. We can help you revamp your eating style to incorporate more nutritious veggies.