People exercise for different reasons. For some, activity is just a part of their lifestyle since childhood. For others, exercise is a way to have fun, banish stress, or boost energy levels. But for many of us, exercise becomes a necessary part of a comprehensive weight loss plan.
If you’ve just started working out, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the different options out there. On top of that, you might wonder how long you should exercise, how often you should do it, or how you will stay motivated over the long run. These ten steps will help you craft the perfect workout regimen for your needs. Just tweak each step to suit your preferences, and off you go!
- Adjust your mindset. Exercise will change your body, but not overnight. Commit to sticking with it over the long term.
- Just start walking. This is the easiest, most accessible form of exercise for most people, and it works. You can add more complicated forms of activity later.
- Set and adjust short term goals weekly. Walk two minutes longer each day, or aim to add a few pounds to a weight lifting regimen every other week.
- Set long term goals, too. What changes do you want to see six months from now? A year?
- Tie goals to the activity. Instead of worrying about calorie burn, which can be cumbersome and confusing, your goals should revolve around (and celebrate) your new abilities.
- Gradually set more ambitious goals. If you become bored with your workout, it’s too easy! Switch it up, make it harder, or try new activities.
- Prioritize your workouts. Exercise should earn a spot on your schedule, and be treated with importance.
- Utilize interval training once your workouts feel “easy”. Add bursts of speed during walks or even consider taking up jogging.
- Add weight training to your workout schedule. It’s fine to start off with just walking, but adding weight training can help you build muscle and boost metabolism.
- Make it fun. Work out with a friend, listen to your favorite music, or experiment with fun activities like dance classes or bike rides with the kids.
If at any point you feel overwhelmed with your weight loss plan, give us a call. We can help you troubleshoot and decide how to proceed.