How many times have you told yourself, “Tomorrow I will start my diet,” but suddenly tomorrow is here and you’re lying on the bed trying to squeeze into that pair of pants ready to burst at the seams the moment you bend over.
Rest assured, it’s not too late to start making better choices and lose the weight. You may think you have no will power, but you have more will power than you think because you’re actually taking the time to find a solution. You may look at your co-worker, or neighbor, or even a relative and wonder why they seem to have their weight under control and you don’t? Perhaps it’s because they have discovered a few logical solutions to stop weight gain from slowly creeping up on them.
There are five simple things you can start doing today that can help successfully get you on the path to weight loss! You can achieve your goals by simply following these five guidelines:
1. YOU NEED SLEEP! It’s a fact that many people fail to recognize the importance of getting six to eight hours of sleep. Obviously if we had no responsibilities this would be easier. However, it is not impossible to force yourself turn off the computer, iPad, cell phone, and television, and get into bed every night before 11:00 p.m. This will help your body fight fat. When a person loses sleep, it causes the body to lose more water, muscle, and other tissue instead of fat. (Source: University of Chicago, Shape Magazine).
2. DON’T DRINK YOUR CALORIES! Make sure to check the calories on that sports drink, juice, or soda. Too often people don’t recognize how many calories these drinks contain and even though you may be cutting down on food intake, the calories you drink may be sabotaging your diet.
3. EAT BREAKFAST! It’s important to to get your metabolism started by fueling it with a protein breakfast. Skipping breakfast may lead to a higher caloric lunch or dinner and it could even lead to binge eating. How many times have you thought, “If I don’t eat breakfast, I won’t be hungry.” Then later on in the day you are devouring a chocolate bar and whatever else available because you are starving? Just eat a healthy breakfast and it will help subside your cravings later in the day.
4. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! Always hydrate your body with water. Drinking water helps your digestive system and is also good for your skin. Instead of reaching for that glass of soda or wine, reach for that glass of water. Add a slice of lemon to add a bit of flavor.
5. MOVE! That’s right, get off the couch or the chair and get outside and go for a walk. Even better, go outside and play with your kids or take your dogs for a walk! Not only will it help you, it will improve circulation and increase energy and serotonin levels in the brain to make you feel better.
If you follow these five easy steps, you will begin to see and feel a difference! What do you have to lose? Oh yeah, WEIGHT!