Free Radicals and the Aging ProcessDecember 26, 2013
Hormone Replacement Therapy: It’s Not Just for Women!January 15, 2014
Now that January has arrived, it’s time to switch gears and start losing all that weight you may have gained over the holidays. Most of us tend to over-indulge at parties and buffets in December, only to regret all those starchy carbs and egg nog when we step on the scale in January. But if you follow these tips, you can get your old body back in no time!
- Rather than worrying about how much you’re eating, switch gears and think about what you’re eating. Holiday party food tends to include a lot of white flour and cheese, both of which are packed with calories. Replace starchy, fatty foods with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. You’ll lose weight and start to feel more energetic.
- Get off the couch and get moving. You already know exercise needs to be a part of your weight loss efforts, so now is the time to check out those new membership specials at your local gym. If the gym isn’t for you, don’t despair; making time to walk or ride a bike each day will give your body what it needs. Aim for at least half an hour of brisk activity each day, working up to an hour per day.
- Don’t starve yourself. You probably regret all those holiday cookies, but starving yourself isn’t a good trade-off. This can slow your metabolism and make it even harder for you to lose weight. Instead, eat a healthy, low-calorie diet with plenty of fiber.
- Stay motivated. Post a picture of your pre-holiday self on the fridge, or make a pact to exercise and eat healthy with a friend. Whatever keeps you motivated will also prevent relapses into unhealthy behaviors.
- Get professional help. Losing weight isn’t easy, and sometimes we need help. Call our office for an appointment, and we can discuss weight loss supplements, appetite suppressants, and other tools that can help you reach your goals.