We all have that friend who seems to lose weight effortlessly, or that coworker who manages a busy career while ensuring that her four children eat a strictly organic diet. How do they do it? What is their secret?
Actually, it’s probably not one secret that they share, but five secrets. The following five habits are common among people who successfully lose weight or adopt healthy lifestyle plans.
1. They ask for support. Most people don’t climb these mountains alone.They have a support group, a fitness buddy, or a helpful partner. Your coworker at work has probably shared her goals with her spouse or a close friend, and that person helps with the grocery shopping and cooking. Your friend who lost all the weight might have used a fitness app which acts as an online community of support.
2. They pay attention to what they’re eating. They check food labels, they record their meals, and they’re educated about what they are putting into their bodies.
3. They hold themselves accountable. Even though it sounds awkward or a little embarrassing, those who have been successful at healthy lifestyle or weight loss plans tend to share their progress. Sharing their weight loss or food diaries makes it much harder to cheat!
4. They cook their own meals. Home cooking generally provides more nutrition, and gives you more control over including healthy ingredients in your meals. But psychologically, preparing your own food has another important impact. When you put effort into creating each meal, you become much more aware of what you’re really eating. Successful people are aware of each choice they make.
5. They find motivation to exercise. We are all motivated by different things, but the point is that successful people learn what works for them. Whether it’s exercising with a buddy, collecting their favorite music on an MP3 player, or using fun exercise apps on their phones, successful people motivate themselves daily.
Remember, making a healthy lifestyle change means adopting new habits that support your goals. Experiment with the above five habits, and you will be more likely to succeed in your health living, fitness, or weight loss goals.